Sunday, May 31, 2020

Playing with a French plait

#21. Learn how to French braid my own hair.

For some reason, I never learned how to French braid my own hair when I was a kid. I had very long hair as a child and I distinctly remember in 2nd grade, at story time, how the other girls in my grade would braid my hair into these teeny tiny braids. They were actually so small that they would turn into knots, and then my mom would get mad when I came home, and then we would have to cut or rip them out. (This will explain why I got my hair cut into a short bob in 3rd grade.)

ANYWAY, when I still had long hair and I went to friends' houses and got it braided while we watched a movie or hung out, I was over-the-moon excited that it could look that elegant and polished. I became more and more impressed with friends who had a knack for making my hair look good and I regularly asked (read: begged) them to do something fancy with it for countless recitals and orchestra concerts (thanks Alex and Marisa for indulging me!).

Well, enough was enough! I could make it look just as elegant and polished if I only watched a YouTube tutorial or two. With a few months of practice, I got ok at braiding (but no better at taking pictures of the back of my head...until I realized my phone camera has a timer on it. Whoops.).

Admittedly, this item on my list was a little silly. But not every item needed to be extravagant. I'm ok with this one being silly!

Yikes, look how wavy that braid is...even the cat noticed.

Better...

Final product!

And now I can French braid my hair! Kind of. A 2nd grade girl's dream come true.

19 down. 11 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment