Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Run, Sophie, Run!

#14. Run a half marathon.

I have always been SO impressed by distance runners. The stamina and mental game of keeping your legs moving for that long has always made me feel like if I could do that, I could do ANYTHING. For this goal, I thought I should start with a shorter distance, so I settled for a half marathon: 13.1 miles. I've hiked 14ers that are this long, but that was over an entire day, with breaks for rest and food. This promised to be different.
Finish line 2018 with CAP10K's armadillo mascot

Starting my sophomore year in college, I got into running races. I had run casually at home while I was in high school with friends who ran cross country or track (just to stay in shape, and I wasn't on any team), but at Michigan I got interested in running timed events. After my first one, where I got to finish a 5K on the 50 yard line of the Big House, I was HOOKED. If only each race had such an epic ending!

Anyway, I ran a number of 5Ks with varying personal timed success (running after a breakup did wonders for my PR). Then, when I moved to Texas, I decided to start getting serious about this...sort of. I ran a couple of 10Ks with Audrey (she's the only reason I got to the finish line both times!) and finally in April 2018 after the second one, I decided to take the plunge: I signed up for the Houston Half Marathon at the end of October.

BSOM strong and hook 'em Horns! Cap10K 2016
People kept asking me, "Why Houston?" First of all, they advertise it as flat, which was appealing. Second of all, it was far enough away that I would have time to train, but not too far away that I would lose my nerve...

So, I started training! With the help and support of my new triathlete friend and accountabili-buddy AJ, I started running 3-ish times a week. Running in the summer in Texas was a struggle, but you figure out ways to make it better...like leaving a water bottle filled with cold water in the car for the end of the run, bringing a towel and a different shirt to change into for the ride home, finding routes that are 90% shaded, soaking running shorts in a water/vinegar mix to keep them from absolutely reeking, and waking up early to get out before the sun.

I'm writing this at the end of August, with 2 months left before the race...


9 weeks to race day: Ran 8 miles on Sunday around Lady Bird Lake. That's the farthest I've ever run to date! The next day, my legs were really sore. I have to remember to stretch after each run, and I really should get back into yoga as cross training. It makes a difference! Also, AJ just told me I should be running a semi-long distance on the day after my long run for the week so I "get used to running on tired legs." Guess we will be doing that from now on...

8 weeks to race day: I slept in longer than I wanted to before this week's long run (9 miles) and I paid for it by having to run in the sun, and also using most of my morning for the run. Gotta get out earlier next week. 

7 weeks to race day: I was a little better about doing other runs during the week this week, and also I returned to yoga! It definitely helps. Audrey came to town to play with ASO/live in my apartment and I convinced her to run with me. We did the 7 mile loop downtown and it was such a treat to run with a friend!

6 weeks to race day: Finally hit double digits on my long run for the first time ever. Because of ASO starting back up and other factors, it was a bit of a struggle fest but I made it. I MADE IT. I'm committed to keeping up running whatever distance I can during the week to make these long runs easier. Yes, I know, I'm kinda late to this game but better late than never...right??
A gorgeous view of the Austin skyline from my 10 mile run on 9/16
(Side note: I had the realization this week that on morning runs during the week, I feel rushed and like I need to get home to do work immediately, so it always ends up being a speed workout and I take about 2 minutes per mile off my pace. I'm sure this is beneficial in some ways....or at least I hope it is.)

5 weeks to race day: Ok, ok, I was just ok about running during the week. I logged 7 miles during the week and then hit 11.1 (!!) for my long run on Sunday. Only 2 miles left to add on before I hit the half marathon distance! This is starting to feel not only doable but absolutely possible, which is an amazing feeling to me.
There was a race around my usual route downtown so I headed back to a beautiful residential stretch that I frequented before I left Texas earlier this summer. I haven't quite been able to get myself out on a Monday morning to "run on tired legs" but maybe it will happen yet...maybe...

4 weeks to race day: This week sucked. I barely got out during the week, and then on Friday, while attempting to do a handstand in yoga class, I crashed out of it onto the floor and onto my right side, bruising my thigh. I tested it out on a short run on Saturday and wow did it hurt--but Sunday was ok. I couldn't quite get up to my goal of 12 miles, I was a tenth of a mile short. I think I also need to take a look at my nutrition, since I didn't feel energized enough today. 

3 weeks to race day: Y'all, this week was even worse than last week. I was thrown into a depressive slump and *could* *not* get out of bed in the mornings. It was hard enough to get up to go to work, let alone get up earlier to run. Don't ever let anyone tell you that depression and its manifestations are not real. 
I managed to get in a run on Saturday in between students, but it was too little too late. My long run on Sunday hit my mileage goal (13!!) but WOW did it wipe me out. I spent the next 2.5 hours lying in bed. Yikes! I realized maybe I needed to be adding in tempo runs to my workouts, so that I improve the quality of my running and not just the number of miles. It may be too late for that now...

2 weeks to race day: Because TLU had fall break on Thursday, that was one less day I had to teach this week. I used that morning to go for a glorious fall run instead during the week! Add in some yoga and another short run of interval training, and I was a happy running camper this week. My final long run of this training season was 13.1 miles on Sunday--the half marathon distance. Now the tapering begins!

1 week to race day: Ever notice how after a really stressful event, you get sick? Well, after an audition on Monday, I came down with a cold. Ugh. Trying to recuperate took most of my time, but I found that running actually helped with symptoms other than fatigue. My "long run" was only 6.8 miles, due to the tapering. The goal is to keep doing cross training and speed workouts (ha) until the race. (EDIT: I ended up doing a track workout and also running with Shoal Creek Striders in this tapering week. Good decision on both fronts!) Down to the final stretch....

RACE DAY

Wow, it's finally here! I was a little nervous when we started--will my training hold up? What if my left leg gives me problems or my right calf seizes up or my right groin muscle starts to hurt or I trip and fall like I did last weekend and there's blood everywhere?--but before I knew it I had run 3 miles and was feeling great. I kept on chugging and at the final mile, I felt this huge smile spread across my face. I was doing it, really doing this!! Crossing the finish line felt amazing! 



That's the look of pure joy right there
My official time was 2:13:43, with an average pace of 10:13/mile. I'm already planning my next one (likely the 3M Half in Austin in January), and searching for a friend to run with me :)

Post race party with the Houston skyline
I did it!

One of my favorite things after races is how much free food they give you.
There are some thank yous to be said before moving on. First, huge thanks to my parents and all of my friends who patiently listened to me yap on about my training, mileage, and other random things about running, and sent me love and support all the way to the finish line. 
Second, thanks to Tonya for hosting me during the weekend I was in Houston, and being a wonderful carb-loading partner! 
Third, shout out to the following podcasts for keeping me company during all my training runs and the race: The Adventure Zone (highly recommend!), Serial, and Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me! 
Finally, thank you to AJ for keeping me accountable in my training, always being willing to give running advice or suggest new routes, and for steadfastly believing in me even when I didn't believe in myself.

11 done. 19 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment