Thursday, June 2, 2016

Random acts of coffee kindness

#7. Pay for a stranger's coffee at Starbucks once a month for six months. **EDIT: I only did it for 4 months. See note at bottom.**

I've always been inspired by random acts of kindness. When I was making this list I knew I wanted to add something like that to it. Since grad school is not a lucrative employment position, I can't donate large amounts to charity (yet!). But, I've found that little gestures that are more personal make me feel better than donating a lump sum anyway, because I can see the reaction immediately.


12/19/15, Colorado Springs: My mom and I were downtown, doing a bit of shopping. There were two men sitting on benches across the street from Starbucks, looking like they were a bit down on their luck. One was playing the harmonica next to a handmade cardboard sign. The sign didn't ask for money or beg for anything; it simply said "Coffee?" It was so simple that it really touched me. I went to Starbucks and asked for a coffee, then went back outside and gave it to the man. They seemed a bit surprised but appreciative, and it gave me all the warm fuzzy feelings. 


1/23/16, Austin: I was meeting Marisa at the Starbucks on 25th Street, basically on the UT campus. I have to admit that part of the reason I wanted to go to Starbucks was to fulfill this, because the last 4-ish times I've been to a coffee shop I was the only one in line (and January is coming to an end)! And then it happened again! It's way easier to tell the cashier that you'll be buying the person behind you's order than to go up to a random person and ask if you can buy them their coffee. But that's exactly what ended up happening.

As Marisa and I were getting ready to leave Starbucks to go shopping, there were three people in line. This was my last chance (for the day). So, I went up to the guy who was last in line and said, "Hi, can I buy your coffee for you?" He looked and me and went, "Uh...sure?" 
I explained to him that I was on a mission to do random acts of kindness for strangers (which is mostly true. I didn't want to get into the whole 30-before-30 thing, it felt too formal at the time.), and then he asked me what else I had done. I told him that I'd bought coffee for a homeless man. He said that was a nice thing to do, and after I bought his drink, he held out his hand and introduced himself. Nice to meet you, Neil!
This was all very awkward and honestly I think he was shocked. It was a little uncomfortable for me too, but I'm glad I did it. The only thing is that I wish I had asked him to simply pay it forward: not even the buying part, just the kindness part. If it brought a smile to his face or inspired anyone around us to be more kind, then my job was done.

2/29/16, Austin: Tim was in town. It was 4pm. I had just had a meeting with a student and her dad that was uncomfortable and anxiety producing. Tim and I needed caffeine, badly. The Starbucks at the stadium was closed, so we went to the one at the SAC. As we walked in, I realized it was the last day of February, and thus the last chance I had for this month!

I let Tim go ahead of me and then turned around to the girl behind me, gently interrupted her story to her friend and asked, "Hey, can I buy you your drink?" She looked doubtful and asked if I was sure, and I said, "Yes, absolutely!" She was very grateful and kept thanking me, and then asked if I did this a lot. So, I explained that I had this 30 before 30 list, and that one thing on it was to buy someone coffee once a month for six months. I asked her to simply pass on the kindness to someone else. I think she bought her friend his coffee after that :)
While waiting for our drinks, I found out Camille is an architecture major. She was really nice and appreciative, and all the anxiety I had felt from everything that had happened earlier in the day melted away when I saw how something that little could brighten someone's day that much.

3/29/16, Austin: After our quartet coaching, Marisa and I went to get coffee before going on with our day. We went to the Starbucks at the stadium, and a woman got in line right behind me. Excellent. I turned around and asked her if I could buy her drink. She looked quite dubious, so I hurriedly explained that I was trying to do acts of kindness for strangers. Her face softened and she said, "You are so sweet! I'm also buying a drink for my boyfriend, so I'll buy that one." I really appreciated that!
She asked me if I was a student, and I told her yes, I was a music student at UT. She said she was there looking at the school with her sister-in-law. I never got her name, but she seemed very touched.

I decided to cut this one short because honestly, this was TOTALLY AWKWARD. I really like the idea behind it, but the execution needs to be improved. Regardless, I pat myself on the back for trying, and am still thinking of ways to be kinder to everyone I meet.


4 down. 26 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment